The first UK Probus Club was formed some 40 years ago with the purpose of creating an opportunity for retired and semi-retired professional and business men to meet together in congenial company and enjoy a variety of social activities. The name Probus is derived as a contraction of PROfessional and BUSiness. Each Club is fully autonomous and is responsible for arranging its own constitution and programme of events.
The Probus Club of Loughton was established in 1982 and has a membership limited to 50. Our lunch meetings are held in the delightful 18th century White House in the grounds of Gilwell Park, Chingford, E4 7QW. Gilwell Park has been the home of scouting since it was donated to The Scout Association in 1919 and is now the site of the Association’s Headquarters.
Wives or partners of members also have the opportunity to meet separately for lunch on Probus meeting days.
The White House, Gilwell Park.
Photograph published with the permission of The Scout Association